otnmbrd

Default And ???????

Jeff Morris wrote:
If my radar was broken, a safe speed might well be zero. All I'm saying is that
thick fog does not require that all shipping must stop everywhere. At least,
that's not the way the courts have interpreted it.

Are you claiming that is a sailboat is crossing a shipping lane and fog closes
in they should drop their anchor immediately? Should they drift randomly?

A TSS, narrow channel, and sea lane (or shipping lane), can be three
different things. Anchoring may be an option. Drifting, may be an
option, though vessels should avoid anchoring in a known TSS lane.

"MC" wrote in message

I disagree. A safe speed can be zero and that is why the sound signal is
changed to reflect that. Suppose your radar set is broken???????

Cheers

Jeff Morris wrote:

"MC" wrote in message

-

Sorry, a point of information. The regs are clear. You may have to stop
your vessel in restricted vis. The sound signal may even chnage as a
result...

The regs are not that clear. Stopping (or not leave dock) may be the
appropriate action in many cases. However, it is not appropriate for an LNG
tanker to stop engines and drift if there's fog on the high seas.

Not necessarily so .... not apt to happen, but not necessarily so.

Nor is it
appropriate to anchor in a narrow channel or TSS.

Anchoring in a narrow channel, is done (preferably off to the side).
Anchoring in most TSS, is not done, but can/may be if conditions warrant.

otn