Rick

Default After 2.5 years we got her started this weekend...

Gary Warner wrote:

but in the wrong direction....we *must* have put it together wrong.

That type of gear pump works by creating a low pressure area (suction)
at the center of the casing where the gears move apart. The liquid is
transported around the casing in the space between the "gear teeth" and
then displaced (discharged) as the gears mesh again on the opposite side
from the inlet.

The only thing that could have happened is that the previous owner
turned the casing around and/or plumbed the pump backwards, or you are
misinterpreting the direction of flow. Is it possible that you are
mistaken in what you believe is the correct direction of flow?

If nothing else, just go ahead and replumb the suction and discharge to
work the right way. I see it uses a collection of fittings to reverse
the direction of the piping on one side anyway ...

Rick