Capt. Mooron

Default And ???????

In retrospect Jeff.... I'll have to concur with your position regarding
obnoxious American boaters. These scofflaws will be the reason that very
soon everyone in the USA who desires to partake in boating of any kind will
have to have a boating license, with mandatory insurance and strict
enforcement by a large marine police force.... paid for by a new tax
imposed on the entire boating community.

I'm glad we don't have that type of irresponsible attitude here in Canada.
Then again we already have a mandatory Vessel Operators Card requirement and
very stiff fines for even minor infractions. A half liter of oil
accidentally spilled can cost you 10K in fines and HAZMAT Response costs.

Nope,,,, up here it's those damn commercial behemoths that are the primary
culprits in environmental terrorism.

CM

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
| I'll concede that when a big ship screws up it can make a real mess, but
in my
| travels I've observed rather few instances of commercial violations. On
the
| other hand, I've observed that recreational boaters are very
self-righteous
| about the regs they chose to observe, while they blatantly ignore others.
|
| A case in point: In Key West we stayed for several days at a luxury
marina/time
| share hotel. The majority of the boats were live aboard, and most never
moved
| from their slip. When I asked people what they did for a pumpout, they
all said
| they never use their head; they go up to the hotel (wink, wink)! We then
moved
| over to a different marina where we were located near the fuel dock and
pumpout
| hose. Invariably, when the commercial boats came to tank up, they also
pumped
| out. However, I hardly ever saw the recreation boaters pump.
|
| Another issue: I've hardly ever felt at risk from a commercial boat -
more
| often I find them altering course to avoid me when several miles away
(perhaps
| my fame has spread?). Sportfishermen, however, are so obnoxious that its
rare
| that an day passes without getting buzzed by some monster doing 40 knots
with
| seemingly no one on the bridge.
|

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
|
| "Jeff Morris" wrote in message
| | "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message news:qgzQb.3340
| | I would say that on a whole
| | the smaller vessels have a better comprehension of their
| responsibilities
| | and a better track record of adherence to the regulations
imposed!......
| |