Mark Browne

Default Trailer Tires Overheating.

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...
Kevin Anderson wrote:
I don't think they run cooler, but I know that using nitrogen the

pressure
stays more consistant as the tire heat up

Do you guys stay up late making this stuff up or do you really, honestly
believe that?

Have you ever heard of - much less read - the "gas laws'? Look up a
French chap named Charles and Gay-Lussac and their particular
contribution to the art.

Exactly how do you "know that using nitrogen the pressure stays more
consistant (sic) as the tire heats up"?

The reason nitrogen is used in high performance tires (usually aircraft)
is that it will not support combustion or oxidation of rubber compounds
in a very high temperature application. Compressed nitrogen is normally
dry, very low in moisture content as well as completely free of oil
which is a contaminant delivered by many air compressors. All the normal
gas laws still apply.

The only thing worse than the general lack of basic scientific knowledge
shown here is the willingness of people to post that they "know" that
the laws of physics simply don't apply.

Rick

Um, Rick,

Race car operators take a great deal of time and effort to first dry their
tires, then fill them with dry nitrogen. The reason is that the water in the
air does NOT act like an ideal gas. Think about what happens to the
pressure/volume curves as the tire reaches 100 degrees C.

http://www.porschenet.com/bruns04.html

There are other perceived benefits that may induce an operator to switch to
nitrogen.
I am not ready to support this other stuff, but throw it in just to cover
the subject more fully.

http://www.branick.com/n2/faq.html

Mark Browne