Wklkj

Default Volvo Duoprop 290 shifting/engaging problem

1989 Volvo duoprop model 290 with a 5.0L engine. When shifting into forward,
there is a 2 or 3 second 'lag' before the outdrive engages. It's not the shift
linkage, I checked it and then the marina confirmed it was adjusted correctly.
It also isn't 'cable stretch' as some friends have suggested.

Marina thinks that the 'clutch' in the outdrive is wearing out and will need a
$1,000 rebuild. I ran the outdrive for the remainder of the season (about 6
weeks) as is but now I need to make a decision.

Anyone have any advice or experience with this problem?

Thanks.