Ray Norrish

Default towing a boat

"Jesse Dinkin" wrote in message
I curious what people use to tow their boats and whether they are

satisfied
with the way it goes....what size boat vs what size vehicle?????.....do I
need an 8 cylinder like a friend said??????....I have a 18ft bowrider

which
I presently keep at a marina but my wife thinks she may want to explore
other water options..........

You americans.. lol. You think you need a monster truck with a 5litre engine
to pull a 18ft 3000/3500 lb rig!
My 2.5L diesel Mitsubishi L200 has no problems with my 1400kg twin axle rig.
This vehicle is capable of pulling 7 tons allegedly. If I don't get a run-up
to hills, I don't have to worry about being able to tow at maximum legal
speeds. Only trouble is, it appears to drink the juice at twice the rate
while it is towing!
I knew what boat I was buying before I got the vehicle, which helped me
decide - even though the boat manufacturer says that it is perfectly towable
by the average family car - ********! For sure, there are too many "soft"
4x4s here which couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, but I still see
them sinking in the sand trying to pull a 14ft fletcher off the beach.

Stick to the known and trusted 4x4s and avoid the "soft" ones (which only
hit offroad when they get stuck on the grass dropping the kids off at
school)