DSK

Default What makes a boat weatherly?

Jeff Morris wrote:

So, does that mean that a catamaran that has a good VMG is more weatherly than a
monohull that points higher?

Of course not, don't be silly

Actually, I'd give some consideration that the higher pointing boat would be the
more weatherly, but actual VMG should probably be the deciding factor.

Does "under adverse conditions" mean, for
instance, a chop, which a cat might handle well, or does it imply the issue of
tacking quickly, which may be needed to work off a lee shore?

Again this is just my HO but 'weatherliness' doesn't include tacking.

I'm not debating; I'm bringing this up because I've been asked if my cat would
be considered "weatherly," and my answer is "in some ways, yes; in other ways,
no."

That's a good answer.

Having enjoyed the adrenaline rush of raising anchor and clawing off a nasty lee
shore at 3 in the morning, I'm glad my cat has twin diesels.

Whatever works. I've not only motored out from lee shores, I've done it in reverse.
Mind you, I'm not claiming that had Joshua Slocum been in my shoes he'd have done
the same thing....

FB
DSK