Jeff Morris

Default What makes a boat weatherly?

"DSK" wrote in message
Usually it
refers to a sailing vessel's ability to make good speed to windward,
ie maintaining above average (or at least, better than the vessel
being compared) VMG. In some senses, it can be taken to mean being
able to make good to windward under adverse conditons.

So, does that mean that a catamaran that has a good VMG is more weatherly than a
monohull that points higher? Does "under adverse conditions" mean, for
instance, a chop, which a cat might handle well, or does it imply the issue of
tacking quickly, which may be needed to work off a lee shore?

I'm not debating; I'm bringing this up because I've been asked if my cat would
be considered "weatherly," and my answer is "in some ways, yes; in other ways,
no."

Having enjoyed the adrenaline rush of raising anchor and clawing off a nasty lee
shore at 3 in the morning, I'm glad my cat has twin diesels.