Jonathan Ganz

Default Rigging Question

Why would you not carry a simple tool to do that?

I don't recommend rings. They *do* snag lines and when
they do, they're apt to get pulled out enough to finally
finish the job on their own. Straight cotter pins if put in
correctly will not come out and won't snag with or without
tape.

"Maxprop" wrote in message
link.net...

"DSK" wrote in message

N1EE wrote:

What's the best cotter pin type to secure
a turnbuckle?

I like to use an oversized ring type cotter pin. They still have to be
taped over (it's a commonly heard myth that cotter rings won't snag
lines) but they are easier to use and have longer useful life. Some
people I sail with use safety-pin style cotter pins. These are fine
but I think they are more obtrusive.

Agreed. Rings can be placed or removed without tools, whereas the split
cotter pins can't.

Max

PS--Doug: Do you live in NC? If so, where? Or at least from what port

do
you sail?