Keith

Default Bilge Pump Switch

Groco makes an air activated switch like this for boats. I have one in mine
and love it. The only thing sticking down into the bilge is a little bell
shaped upside down "cup" with the hose leading up to the switch, a couple of
feet above. When the water rises, the pressure inside the switch triggers
the bilge pump.

"MIDEMETZ" wrote in message
I used a water switch from a washing machine. I don't remember the size

of the
PVC cap but it was used by a lot of the local shrimpers in their old

wooden
boats ( read leak a lot ).

The switch is usually in the control top part. They recommended using a
smaller longer hose and mounted the switch high on the bulkhead.

Mine worked for a little over 5 years with out problems. ( Sold the

boat ).

It would take a little experimenting but easy engulf to find the cap size.
They heater a brass hose barb and just screwed it in to the hole, I

drilled &
taped it. It isn't boat pretty but very useful.

For the delay the Radio Shack idea seems the best.

Mike.
*****************

However I am sick of replacing bilge pump switches. ( I have a
shed full of floats!)

I thought to seal a mercury switch and put it on the float when
the float goes up the pump comes on (through a good relay)

However the switch comes on the pump runs for a very short time
and just clicks on and off driving the relay crazy.
I need to have a delay that will keep the relay pulled in say
5 to 10 seconds before dropping out and resetting.
Anyone have an idea or circuit that will do this for me.
Thanks
Oliver Fleming