Simple Simon

Default And ???????

Capt. Otn,

It appears to me Joe is saying if it's a commercial
venture and not recreational boating then it's OK
to proceed in an unsafe manner while ignoring or
bending the Rules of the Road as applicable to
restricted visibility. It appears to me that you are
agreeing with him.

Appearances are sometimes misleading so I will
give you the benefit of the doubt because no
self-respecting, law abiding, USCG licensed Master
would knowingly and proudly claim he either ignores
or breaks specific COLREGS in the name of commerce.

The COLREGS apply to all vessels - there is no
distinction between commercial vessels and private
vessels when it comes to operating in restricted
visibility and to claim going 25 knots in restricted
visibility in congested areas like the lower Mississippi
and Gulf of Mexico is a safe and normal practice is
to show ignorance of the law and a disregard for
safety of life at sea. While you aren't saying this
directly your agreeing with one who IS does not
bode well for your common sense, education or
professionalism.

S.Simon

"otnmbrd" wrote in message news
Typically, uninformed statement.
In answer to your question .... No.
However, typically, commercial operators get caught in situations over
which they have no control, and have to continue on (For instance, I've
left the dock at Baton Rouge, La. and encountered fog shortly thereafter
and had no choice but to continue downriver because there was no
anchorage available.) or it's the nature of their business that they
have to go in all conditions and try to maintain a semblance of a
schedule .... which may mean that conditions will allow normal speeds,
but generally means they will frequently be slowing and then speeding
back up, or staying slow the whole way .... it's not a "yes or no"
condition.

Simple Simon wrote:
So, it's OK to run over and kill people in
the name of making a living? I'd love
to be in the courtroom when you spout
that as a defense.

S.Simon

"otnmbrd" wrote in message nk.net...

G Personal opinion .... On a ship, it would be totally different.
For the average recreational boater, if you don't have to go in these
conditions, don't .... if you get caught in them, slow WAY down, and
take your time .... you're doing it for fun, not to make a living.

otn