Joe

Default And ???????

otnmbrd wrote in message news:qxoIb.12432

Depends on where you are and what your set-up is.
If you are running HSC or the Miss., this would not be bad,

On the HSC you also have traffic control to advise you of any other
traffic.

especially
if you only have one set. If you had two, for that type boat, depending
on where you are, I might suggest one set at 3.0m and the other on 1.5
(scanning down on the 1.5m set, at times.)

Most crew boats do have 2 radar sets, usually I have one on standby
and just keep switching back and forth on the range selector. Keeps
you from getting a sore neck and prevents you from missing something
while moving from one display to the other, and on sunny days with
thick fog I like to keep my face buried in the radars rubber
hood/visor to keep from ruining your dark vision.

Once clear of the channel, into the Gulf, I'd probably kick one set up
to 6.0m (at least) and the other to 3.0m (if only one set, 3.0m with
kick ups to 6.0m)then scan the 3.0m set, down, on occasion.

Sounds about right. I worry more in open water than I do in the
rivers or channels because of wave clutter. Plus offshore I'd set up a
couple of range alarms. On the supply boat ive ran we had some nice
setup's. Radar on each side of the wheel with one set that will rotate
so the lookout can use it. We have contest all the time seeing who
could pick up targets first and calucating there speed and courses,
and CPA's. In heavy traffic areas we would wear the cursers out.

G Personal opinion .... On a ship, it would be totally different.
For the average recreational boater, if you don't have to go in these
conditions, don't .... if you get caught in them, slow WAY down, and
take your time .... you're doing it for fun, not to make a living.

otn

Do you have a radar endorsement?

Joe
MSV RedCloud