Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

Hi Doug,

I find the Stainless "Ranch" Mini-14 is a well made rifle. It is a
little short, so it handles well. The .223 round packs plenty of punch.
2 or 3 Horniday hollow points will drop even a brown bear or big buck.
(The NATO FMJ will drill a perfect hole through 1/4 inch steel at 400 feet)

The stainless model doesn't rust, and disassembles easily and quickly to
a "machined parts" stage. Which makes it legal to go into a "no guns"
area such as a state park, though NOT a military or indian reservation.

In the 4 or 5 hundred shots I have fired, it has only misfired twice
(bad primers, and never had a jam with a factory magazine. (I buy a lot
of surplus ammo from: www.cheaperthandirt.com .) I also obtain some
from local gun shows. (Steel pin AP, Tracer ect. It is not illegal to
possess this ammo in FLorida, but is NOT legal to chamber it.) The after
market magazines are another story. I have had several mis-feeds and
though they clear with a pull of the bolt, and a quick flip to dump, it
still took some 5 seconds or so.

The thing I really like about the Mini is my wife can fire for half a
day at the range and it doesn't hurt her shoulder like a heavier
caliber* does.

(*My other "toy" is a Browning .300 Mag "white gold medallion". (Makes a
fine "deck gun" for Caribbean travel! grin. Custom loads available!
These will take the motor(s) out of a "go fast" at 1500 yards!) See link
below:

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...35&type_id=021

as a comparison, I bought Amy (wife) a Taurus Millennium 9mm, which
carries a 10 round magazine,
She can hit a target at 15 feet with it, but beyond, she simply scares
the paper and wastes ammo. After 4 or 5 magazines she complains it hurts
her hand.

None the less, I would not travel unarmed. There are too many "scary
things" out there.

Regards,

Capt. Frank

Doug Kanter wrote:

In rec.guns every now and then, someone says "....but whatever you do, don't
buy a mini-14". Meanwhile, there are millions of them out there owned by
people who seem to like them. Any trouble with yours?

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Hi Butch,

When out and about, I carry a Ruger Mini-14 stainless ranch rifle (.223
semi-auto) 2 40 round magazines and my P-90 .45 cal.

I had an alarm installed which dials my cell & home phone. It will
inform me of high water, loss of electrical power, fire, or break in. In
case of break in, the alarm box sounds the horns and a very piercing
siren in the cabin. All in all, it makes quite a ruckus. It cost about
$600 bucks but is, I think worth it.

Capt. Frank

Butch Ammon wrote:

Don't worry about the dockmaster, Worry aout the Captain's handgun!

Capt. Frank

Good one....

I know that the USCG carries M-16's below deck, and they also carry

either the

new Beretta M92 9mm, or they still carry the old standard Springfield

1911 .45

(which I remember qualifying on during bootcamp back then).

Butch Ammon