Shen44

Default Professional Courtesy and Respect

ubject: Professional Courtesy and Respect
From: "Simple Simon"

Neal, don't try to talk about Merchant Marine Officers and licenses. You aren't
one, don't hold one, never have and never will, no matter what some piece of
paper says ....i.e., it's a subject, beyond your experience and comprehension.

Shen

Thank you. I think the U.S.C.G licenses rely more
on 'book' knowledge and less on a practical exam
as there is no practical exam at all out on a boat.

I would say the U.S.C.G. license is more geared
towards motor vessels and a master's responsibility
in regards to that. Safety of life at sea is a very
high priority. Being a Merchant Marine Officer
is not like being a sailing yachtsman at all.

While a sailing yachtsman is generally a better
seaman by virtue if his intimacy with the sea, the
Merchant Marine Officer is better versed in
the rules and regulations concerning running a
commercial ship and carrying passengers for
hire.

S.Simon