DownTime

Default Many boats are not being used.

Ture, very true. I am sure we can continue this thread endlessly. One just
simply has to drive by any marina or storage facility. It amazes me that an
owner, and I am guilty of it as well in the past, in believing the boat is
worth more than it truly is.

That is part of the reason I posted awhile back about a SaltShaker. A local
marina has one on consignment and for 1/2 the asking price, I feel it would
be a perfect fit for our needs, but obviously the seller has other ideas. I
may just stop by there again today as the boat is still there, after a
number of months, and simply de-valuing(in my opinion!) just by sitting high
and dry.

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
I can top that. I saw about a 35 foot trawler at the Brownsville, WA dock

a few
years ago that had huge sea anenomes (!) covering the hull below the

waterline.
Some of the critters were well over a foot long. Looked like the junk you

see
growing on a piling. Boat couldn't have been moved for a good many years,

and
it was (before it was allowed to decay) probably worth well over $100k. A
hundred G isn't all that much money in the relative scheme of things these

days
(a low level manangement salary in many businesses), but it's still more

dough
than should be allowed to simply molder away at the dock unused.

Some of it has to do with stubborn pride by sellers. When I worked as a

broker,
there were many cases where a boat would languish on the market because it

was
seriously overpriced. Some sellers would resist any advice that their

price was
out of line and discouraging potential buyers. A few seemed to always

adopt the
attitude
"I'm not going to give my boat away! It's in top shape! Do you have any

idea
what I've spent on this thing so far? I can afford to sit on it until the

right
buyer ((read 'bigger fool')) comes along." And sit on it they do- for

years
and years while the moorage and insurance bills pile up. Those who don't

spend
the money to keep up the appearance on an unused boat will discover the

money
is spent anyway, as the ultimate buyer on the day of inevitable reckoning

will
demand a discount for dirt and grime that is often far greater than it

would
have cost to clean it up and keep it clean.