Sailor

Default Ellen MacArthur at it again - finishes almost last

It seems to me that most people who are excellent at anything usually are
selfish, arrogant etc etc - perhaps that's what makes them great - or at
least is a key component alongside raw ability/talent??? Ayrton Senna,
Michael Schumacher, Ellen Macarthur, etc etc

Most people are happy to accept mediocrity because the price of perfection
is so high in terms of happiness, likeability etc - for most of us life is a
compromise - some people strip it down and reject the bits they don't want -
but my experience is that few are happy with the end result.

Very rarely a true top sportsman or woman comes along who has achieved
everything they wanted AND managed to retain a personality and likeability -
Mohammed Ali for instance - some even go on to surpass even that level and
retain a degree of humbleness.

I am sure the sports psychologists can elaborate and expand far more
eloquently then I can and maybe even give reasons but personally I admire
people who can be so single-minded to achieve anything at such a high
personal cost.

The really sad part is that some opinionated half wit American feels so
jealous of just about everything that he feels the need to berate and pass
negative comment on just about everything based on knowledge of just about
nothing - perhaps we should have a whip round and get him a life or at least
some counselling sessions?????

"Duncan Heenan" wrote in message
I disagree (as usual) with Simpleton Simon. Ellen MacArthur's record shows
she does have sailing talent, commitment and courage. However, I ceased to
be a fan after reading her book, which also shows her to be selfish,
egotistical and manipulative; thus not such a nice human being - but

perhaps
you have to be like that to achieve big things.

"Chris" wrote in message
Even if it is no "real" sailing talent its a much better impression than

you
can achieve!

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
http://www.teamkingfisher.com/uk/def...rticle&id=9676