Doug Kanter

Default Damm Roaches

"Vito" wrote in message

Sorry to tell y'all this but Ms Rosalie's right: almost everything we
eat contains insect and/or rodent parts and droppings.

There are actually printed guides for "permissible levels of insect parts"
for food products. Candy is especially interesting, for obvious reasons.
Anyone who thinks Hershey can cook up sugar and chocolate all day and not
attract ants is a complete idiot.

My GF grew up in Yauco, in SW Puerto Rico. Her housing development was built
20 years ago on top of old sugar cane plantations. Nice house, nice
neighborhood, but the ants never left. You can wipe down the entire kitchen
with Lysol or bleach, walk away, and 20 minutes later, there'll be ants on
the counter, looking for whatever it is they're looking for. They're tiny,
and they wipe up nicely with a damp paper towel.

It bothered me on the first visit, but it was obvious that her mother was as
obsessive about a clean kitchen as I am, and everywhere I went, people had
the same problem. The standard comment was "Of course...everyone has them".

I think we worry too much about some bugs.