DSK

Default Engine News from Genmar

Gould 0738 wrote:

Ever wonder if there's any thought behind the engines offered by various
manufacturers? Is it always a case of which engine builder is offering the
cheapest deal?

I dunno about *always* but I bet it's a very common approach. No doubt you have
heard Bob Smith's views on the subject.

***
..... We found that the Genmar dealer organization
is very aware of performance and reliability characteristics by engine
manufacturer and this has become more important than price in determining which
engine the dealer wants on their Genmar boats.

Maybe that's because warranty work is so expensive? Knocks the heck out of profits,
I would think.

..... having the ability to switch to another engine is a
competitive edge that Genmar dealers want to maintain.

Note that engineering considerations were not on the survey. I'm a bit
disappointed. Still it was an interesting read. Thanks, Chuck.

Fair Skies- Doug King