scottht

Default safe RPM range

Thanks for the reply but it was intended to be humor about the little
old man thing.

Woodchuck wrote:

Hey, don't knock or believe the "little old man thing"... I'm one and
commonly turn me Mercury outboard to 7500rpm at just over 100mph. As for
yours there's not such thing as babying the engine since it's always under
load. Max rpm is 4800 and cruise should be around 3500.

"scottht" wrote in message
I have a 1986 SeaRay 21' mid cabin cruiser. This boat has a 4.3
mercruiser V6. I don't have a hour meter on the boat buy I am told it
was low hours driven by a little old man I am wondering what sort of
RPM range that I should be cruising at and what is the highest I should
top out at. I certainly don't want to damage the old girl. I have also
noticed that the RPM's don't seem to be consistant when I have opened it
up in the past. Is that to do with current direction? Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks
Scott