Simple Simon

Default Is your vessel seaworthy?

I've got two telescoping jib poles as well. They are long enough
when not expanded and very strong with triple layers of tubing.

If the windsurfer masts carried away the jib poles could be
pressed into service.

What's all this concern with broken rudders? Mine is sound.
It has lasted for thirty years and has a two-inch stainless
steel shaft. It ain't likely to break.

S.Simon

"The_navigator©" wrote in message ...
Did you know that spinnaker poles often break when used thusly?

Cheers MC

Simple Simon wrote:

The outboard has a twenty inch shaft and the cutaway
in the transom is only about a foot above the water.
The motor stays in the water pretty well. Remember
there is a pretty nice stern wave when making way
through he water.

Not the aluminum windsurfer masts. They are pretty crush proof.

S.Simon

Donals Dilemma wrote in message ...

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:32:26 -0500, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

No problem!

As long as the fuel holds out the boat can be steered with
the motor in gear and the throttle just above an idle. That
should allow some time to steer through or wait out adverse
conditions.

I didn't know that they built outboards with shafts long enough to
stay in the water as the boat pitches thruogh a wild sea....when most
rudders break.

And your OB doesn't look unusually long, must be the camera angle eh
http://www.homestead.com/captneal/Sheshines.html

The motor can be taken off the transom without too
much trouble and the wood fitted in the safety of
the cockpit but this would best be done in calmer
conditions for safety and to keep from losing the
motor overboard. In the meantime, I have two
windsurfing masts aboard which I could easily
make into a steering oar lashed to the transom

So you don't know anything about the mechanical properties of a
windsurfer mast either.....they crush easily...

S.Simon

Donals Dilemma wrote in message ...

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:14:13 -0500, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

The outboard motor can be used for steerage if the rudder
breaks off. I have suitable wood and nuts and bolts to make
a foil to attach to the shaft of the outboard motor which
pivots.

You can bolt taht all in place in a seaway in adverse conditions
without falling over the side?

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.