Simple Simon

Default Is your vessel seaworthy?

In force 8 in the open sea I would heave-to under storm trysail. A rudder
would not be necessary as the trysail would keep her forereaching.

A storm severe enough to break off the rudder would be a survival
storm. Repairs would have to be made AFTER the storm passed.
A rudder is only necessary when going to weather. Heaving-to
or lying-to under storm trysail requires no rudder.

S.Simon

"The_navigator©" wrote in message ...
Out board in idle to steer a boat in F8? Are you joking -I hope so.

Cheers MC

Simple Simon wrote:

No problem!

As long as the fuel holds out the boat can be steered with
the motor in gear and the throttle just above an idle. That
should allow some time to steer through or wait out adverse
conditions.

The motor can be taken off the transom without too
much trouble and the wood fitted in the safety of
the cockpit but this would best be done in calmer
conditions for safety and to keep from losing the
motor overboard. In the meantime, I have two
windsurfing masts aboard which I could easily
make into a steering oar lashed to the transom

S.Simon

Donals Dilemma wrote in message ...

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:14:13 -0500, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

The outboard motor can be used for steerage if the rudder
breaks off. I have suitable wood and nuts and bolts to make
a foil to attach to the shaft of the outboard motor which
pivots.

You can bolt taht all in place in a seaway in adverse conditions
without falling over the side?

Oz1...of the 3 twins.