DSK

Default Hull Flexing

Capetanios Oz wrote:

Poor technique will lead to poor bond and voids in any layup.

True, but with CF you waste more money and risk more dramatic failure.

Carbon is worse because you can't see when it's been wet out properly
so much more care is required.
We tend to use a slower brew to give more working time especially in
more intricate shapes.

but... but... but... the greatest expert in the world assures me that it can be laid up just like
ordinary fiberglass, I'd have thought that meant with the same resins & technique!

Prepreg is the way to go BUT it's expensive, can't be stored for any
great period and works best when cooked.

I looked into prepreg for our dinghy, it would be scandalously expensive and only a few ounces
lighter. For bragging rights, it ain't worth it (in this instance).

Baggin will give a better result in any layup allowing use of less
resin BUT you still need to wet out completely or you'l have problems.

Sure, especially with any type of core. Much better core-skin adhesion with vacuum bagging.

Maybe they've been doing it all wrong?

Nope, but there are more ways to skin a cat.

Is that another bad pun?

The stuff I'd like to try working with is honeycomb core & carbon & kevlar. The strength to weight
figures are almost unbelievable.... but it has to be done just right.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King