The_navigator©

Default Hull Flexing

DSK wrote:

The navigator© wrote:

So you are saying it's Hookian until failure ?
If you look at a mast, CFRP has far more flex than Al before failure.

Nope, sorry, wrong again. Aluminum can bend & stretch a lot further before breaking than
carbon fiber can. You either must be thinking of load cycles to fatigue, or else you're
just making up malarkey to sound impressive.

Must I rub your nose in your ignorance? Why do you think windsufer masts
are made of carbon (before that GRP) and not Al? Have a look at the flex
of some unstayed carbon masts!

Carbon fiber also requires an order
of magnitude (or thereabouts) greater skill & preparation & tooling to make good
secondary bonds.

The bond in all FRP is plastic to plastic. There is no difference
whatsoever in that regarrd for CFRP.

You're saying that one can wet out and lay up carbon fiber just like fiberglass?

You can (and I have for some special local reinforcing) but most use
prepreg these days for big jobs.

Cheers MC