Bobsprit

Default Speakng of Simrad

IMHO the belt drive wheel pilots are good only for motoring in calm conditions.
I've seen dozens of them that can't hold a course on a nice sailing day, much
less
rough conditions.

We've had no problems with ours, a model 3000 with belt. Coming back from the
Thimble Islands we were close reaching in 15-20 knots through some good chop
and it held course without a problem for as long as we liked. Adjusting the
rudder offset a single notch when off the wind is sometimes needed, but it's
been reliable and useful. My friend's Vindo has the same unit and they are
quite common around here. Never heard a complaint.

RB