Jeff Morris

Default Hull Flexing

I'm not sure I want to hear this one, since I don't have a Nonsuch anymore, and wouldn't
use one for offshore purposes.

However, the "capsize issue" is that the bad stability numbers imply that a Nonsuch might
stay inverted. If your friend had multiple capsizes, this was not the case; he was doing
360's. Without hatchboards, this can be a critical situation. BTW, did they loose the
rig?

I certainly don't fault him for abandoning, but there's nothing in your brief account that
reflects poorly on the vessel.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
passagemaker. However, I still haven't found any documented stories of rig or
hull
failures or capsizes - only claims of a "friend of a friend heard once in a bar
..."

Jeff, I can put you in touch with the skipper who was involved in multiple
capsizing on a Nonsuch. The story was covered on CBS news some years ago. The
boat was lost when the owner panicked and tossed the hatchboards over the side.
She had already rolled twice prior to this.
Contact me direct and I'll give you his number. He currently works at city
Island. He's doing a Miami delivery at the moment but will return in December.

RB