Rick \(Saga 35\)

Default Nasty, Nasty, Crazy Day Sailing Today

"DSK" wrote in message
Bart Senior wrote:

I've often wondered how an Adkins type diet would hold up in nasty
conditions.

snip
..... My buddy Stu spent several
seasons working in the Bering Sea on a fishing trawler. I asked him
if anyone there tried a high proteit diet. My untested theory was
that low carb diets need less water and hence there would be less
dehydration when seasick. I'll have to call him and tell him he was
right to tell me not to try it.

Low carb diets are diuretic - you need to drink LOTS of water to keep
hydrated. I've been doing Atkins for nine months (lost 50+ pounds so far),
and don't think it has any effect on seasickness. However, I am never
seasick, so I am a unreliable test datum.

There are great low-carb cold weather boat foods - chili (homemade, not from
the can), chicken soup (without noodles), fried steak on a low carb
tortilla, single malt whiskey...

--
Rick Krementz