DSK

Default Nasty, Nasty, Crazy Day Sailing Today

Bart Senior wrote:

I've often wondered how an Adkins type diet would hold up in nasty
conditions.

According to some of my sailing friends who are on it, no better than any other diet.

Personally, my favorite sailing breakfast is bisquits & gravy, with grits & sloppy eggs
thrown in. Not heart healthy, not slimming, but gives you some calories to work with and
seems to stay in place well.

..... My buddy Stu spent several
seasons working in the Bering Sea on a fishing trawler. I asked him
if anyone there tried a high proteit diet. My untested theory was
that low carb diets need less water and hence there would be less
dehydration when seasick. I'll have to call him and tell him he was
right to tell me not to try it.

Flirting with dehydration is bad no matter what diet you're on. Mild dehydration makes one
more susceptible to hypothermia & heat stress, too. Drink lots of fluids! It's a bother to
have to undo foulies to take a leak, but it's worse to start falling down, forgetting
important stuff, having cardiac fibrillations, etc etc.

Great story, Bart. How come you didn't keep the off watch below tending a kettle of hot
chocolate or soup? Anything without caffeine... although caffeine can be a Godsend, it makes
seasickness worse IMHO and definitely tends to increase the risk of dehydration.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King