Joe Parsons

Default Docking HELP!!

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:52:12 GMT, WaIIy wrote:

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:28:10 GMT, Joe Parsons
wrote:

-remember that the rudder(s) must have water flowing over them to offer any
help in controlling the boat

He has I/Os, as you know, this won't apply.

Are you saying an I/O has no steering effect when in neutral?

That wasn't the point. You already know an I/O is directional,
regardless of the rudder effect.

The point is, I/O's aren't concerned with rudders, since they don't have
"rudders".

Sure they do. The entire drive has enough side area to provide some steering
effect. Not as effective as a rudder aft of the screws on an inboard, but they
*will* steer the boat. Go ahead--try it.

And yes: an I/O is a directional drive, but the direction of the thrust is not
its only effect--any more than a sailboat steers solely by the action of its
rudder.

That has
certainly not been my experience--not in either of my two boats that are so
equipped.

Of course there is some amount of directional control in neutral, but
when would you use it with I/Os ? I had a twin I/O and can't recall
ever trying to steer it in neutral.

With a twin, as the original article said, the most effective low speed
maneurvering (as in docking) is done with the rudder(s) amidships, by using the
clutches alone. What you seemed to be saying (and please correct me if I am
misinterpreting what you wrote) was that James' "personal rules" (his term)
"wouldn't apply."

If you'd meant to take issue *only* with his last statement, that "the rudder(s)
must have water flowing over them to offer any help in controlling the boat," it
would have been clearer if you had edited the quoted text. I think the issue of
whether a boat has I/Os or inboards and rudders is moot, anyway, since the
effect of two thrusts is the same regardless of drive configuration.

But let's say you're right; do you take issue with the other items of advice
he's offered? If you do, why?

He's received great advice and I certainly learned a few things myself.

Yes--it was *very* good advice.

Joe Parsons