Harry Krause

Default Which Prop?

Frank Maier wrote:

Harry Krause wrote in message ...

I like your hotmail name, Harry. Were you a linotype guy in a previous life?

No, but I was a newspaperman, and I loved the mechanics of hot type,
plating and rumbling presses. I fooled around a little with monotype and
linotype machines, and learned to set headlines by hand with a type
stick letters from a California type case. The "handle" actually comes
from the way letters were dumped in the type case.

At the newspaper where I worked, all the linotype machines were operated
by graduates of a school for the deaf. It was skilled work, paid well,
and offered good benefits, and the typesetters were valued employees of
the newspaper. Of course, that was in the days before corporate America
went for a disposable workforce.

Email sent to will never reach me.