Lloyd Sumpter

Default Which Prop?

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 19:22:03 +0000, Horace Brownbag wrote:

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:58:40 -0700, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

Hi,

I've mentioned before that I'll be replacing Far Cove's engine this
winter (assuming I can sell the appt!) with a 26hp Universal M25XPB. What
prop should I buy to go with it?

I've heard Good Things about the Campbell Sailor, but some not-so-good
things as well. Mi Wheel is, of course, the Standard and probably the
cheapest.

What about a feathering prop like the AutoProp? Worth the money?

I've decided on a 3-blade, and drag under sail is not a BIG issue (I
don't race) but is a factor. Mainly I want max thrust/speed, both in clear
water and into a chop.

Suggestions?

I've used these folks....

http://www.gpcprop.com/

Give them a call, with your displacement, transmission, and engine
figures, and rotation, in hand. Tell them you want a three blade, and
they will size the dang thing for you.

You don't have to buy it there, but they do have ok prices on new and
recons.

Thanks! I'm not buying it until I've replaced the engine in Feb or so,
just "dreaming" for now. Did you get a MI Wheel, or the "ZF-Faster"? I
filled in their form, but not expecting too much since most of these
prop-calc forms rely on the existing data, which of course is for the
existing engine rather than the new one.

And, of course, I will be dealing with a Canadian dealer when I do buy
one.

I just got a reply from AutoProp - they want $3K US for their prop!
Ouch - I think that's too steep for my blood.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36