Joe Parsons

Default Docking HELP!!

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 04:41:39 GMT, WaIIy wrote:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 04:37:50 GMT, "James W. Sloan"
wrote:

My personal rules for docking a twin screw vessel:

-approach the dock and STOP about 100 yards away

-remain stopped for a minute or two and determine what the wind and current
will be doing to you during docking

-the boat will want to go beam to the wind and bow to the current

-once you've figured out what nature is gonna do, and how fast...make a plan
to deal with it

-explain your plan to all on board who will be expected to help with docking

-make sure they understand the plan

-put out your fenders and lines before moving toward the dock

-using what you learned about the wind and current, approach the dock slowly
into the wind and into the current

-remember that the rudder(s) must have water flowing over them to offer any
help in controlling the boat

He has I/Os, as you know, this won't apply.

Are you saying an I/O has no steering effect when in neutral? That has
certainly not been my experience--not in either of my two boats that are so
equipped.

But let's say you're right; do you take issue with the other items of advice
he's offered? If you do, why?

Joe Parsons