DSK

Default Engine options....decisions, decisions, decisions....

Gould 0738 wrote:

Need to make some final decisions about the best cure for my engine problems.

Sorry to hear about your engine probs. Makes me glad we've got the Lehman instead

Anybody running a 6354 NA? I'd lose about 30HP, comparing the maximum ratings
of the two engines, but I typically run about 1800-1900 RPM with the 165 turbo.

You're already overpowered. Save the money and go NA.

I might lean toward the NA engine if I'm not going to lose anything more than
about 1/2 a knot...

Personally, I don't see how you're going to lose any speed at all unless it's a
prop issue. With 165HP you have about 70HP too much under any but the most extreme
conditions.

Another factor: Wife says there is another boat in our future. Not necessarily
in the next couple of years, but certainly prior to retirement. She has a few
items on her boat "wish list" that she thinks are missing from our present
boat. General question: If you were considering a 25-year old boat, would you
be much more likely to buy the boat and/or pay a few thousand extra if the
engine were 4-5 years old vs. a 25-year old engine with 600-800 hours on a
thoroughly documented rebuild?

Definitely save the money. A new engine is not going to bring up the market value
by as much as the cost of the engine. But you knew that, are you just fishing here?

We've also been toying with the idea of going to a bigger boat, but the problem is
(of course) that to get any meaningful increase in capacity & capability, the cost
scales up 'way 'way out of proportion. Which is a big reason why we chose the boat
we did.

Fair Skies- Doug King