Dave Skolnick

Default Saillors considering Power

RR wrote:
We would really appreciate hearing from people who have been sailors and
have made the transition to power.

That would be me. I have been sailing for 25 years and love it. We just
got back from a bareboat charter in the BVI, and plan to continue
chartering to keep sailing.

In March of this year we boat a Chaparral 350 Signature (twin engine
V-drive cruiser). The issue for us was the time and distance to good
sailing (one to two hours each way to the Cheasepeake, depending on
traffic). We can keep the power boat nearby (20 - 30 minute drive) and
so use it more often--at least twice a week.

We like being out on the boat, and it is nice to be able to get places
reasonably quickly. We have found that we miss having the journey itself
be part of the pleasure. Engine and hull noise do take something away
from the experience.

Our plan is to return to sail in six or seven years when the last child
is out of the house and our weekends become wholly our own again.

Regards,

Dave
M/V Auspicious
"A sailor fallen from grace"