Mark Pilcher

Default Merc 50 mods

Subject: Merc 50 mods
From: "Mad Dog"

I am new to boating but old to the hot-rod scene so curiosity has me,
if this motor is better off untouched what motor would be a good
platform for tweaking,port,polish,finger-ports,reed-valves,smoothbores

There is a company that makes "performance" reed valves for this motor, I think
it might be Bob's Outboard Shop or something like that. I've lost the link. As
you know, this motor uses reed blocks on either end of the crankshaft, so it's
not as simple as those that are after the carbs.
If you figure out how to get 5 or so horses more without tearing it down to the
block or something, let me know. Good luck.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to
do violence on their behalf......George Orwell.