Rod McInnis

Default Docking HELP!!

For those who asked my boat does not have counter rotating drives.

In that case, I would expect that the boat would have a "favored" turning
direction, that is, it will turn a lot sharper one way than the other,
especially at dead slow speeds. Figure out which direction that is and use
it to your advantage.

And I do
have to make a 90' port turn to get into my boat house. The wind and

current
generally come from my stern, until I turn and then there on my port side.

Any reason you can't approach from the other side so that the wind and
current is on your bow? If you are bucking the wind and current, you can do
everything with just forward and neutral. If the wind and current are
pushing you then you may need reverse to keep your speed in check. Having
an engine die in that situation can lead to disaster.

It is a covered boat house so there is post and beams right at the

entrance.

Wrap the post with a piece of old carpet an rub rail height. This will
give you a little padding for when you bump it.

I guess practice is where its at...
I have been docking mainly from the lower station,cause it just seems more
comfortable. Any opinion on that?

Drive where you have the best visibility and are the most comfortable.
You should also factor in which station allows you to communicate with your
crew the best.

Rod