otnmbrd

Default Inherently beautiful.

Capt. Mooron wrote:

| Quite possibly correct, but when going astern, there would be no prop
| wash past the rudder and I would say most would see the affects of
| propwalk to a greater degree when backing. G You don't have to
| completely agree with me any more than I do with you. We're talking the
| possibilities, here.

Gothcha... I'm just not correctly differentiating between flow and wash on
the prop in my original reply. My prop actually becomes narrower further
down. The prop is angled so that the flow would be strongest at the point
where it begins to narrow the most. I believe that's the reason I have such
a bitch of a time with propwalk to starboard in reverse.

CM

So, you've also got a lefthand prop (There are more of them out there
than people realize).
I really can't say, whether the above is the reason, or not. In "most"
cases, single screw, no matter what the hull design (inboard, fixed
pitch prop, right or left) when backing down, you are going to get a
serious condition of prop walk, which can be a pain and a boon to boat
handling (exceptions noted). However, there are many boats/ships out
there, that 8 out of ten times will torque as expected .... the next two
times they'll go in the opposite direction, for no reason, or at least
none that you can figure out at the time.

otn