Capt. Mooron

Default Inherently beautiful.

"Shen44" wrote in message
| I, Like otn, do not agree with the angled shaft creating all that
noticeable a
| difference in "prop walk".

I wonder if "sucking" wash at an angle may reduce the effect of the rudder.
I don't believe the angle affects the walk by itself.... only influences the
wash over the rudder.

| Although I may agree that a prop tunnel, may act similiar to a Kort
nozzle, for
| an open prop, I don't think the prop wash behind a wide keel, when going
astern
| will have a noticeable affect on prop walk.

Don't the newer cruise ships now use pod screws for better control and
performance? That would be like a prop in reverse ... sort of.

| However, if nothing else, I've learned that no matter how much some might
try
| to say that the handling of a particular boat with a particular set up,
can be
| described by science, this is just not so ....each boat must be figured
out,
| and this applies to boats of the same class.

I concur.

| One thing I would say is that I'm inclined to agree with the notion that a
| folding prop may have less walk/bite, but I'm not sure that has everything
| do with the fact that it's folding or more to do with it's pitch .... I
don't
| have enough experience and knowledge of them to say.

Well since none of us are experts in the field it only makes for a venue to
compare alternate viewpoints. It's of interest only to those of us who
consider the problem and wish to explore the situation.

CM