Jeff Morris

Default Inherently beautiful.

2GM20FC with SD20 Saildrive, bottom of page:
http://www.yanmar.com.au/marine/Sail...sailseries.htm

Also, the props are shown on this page - search for 872880
http://www.penta.volvo.se/files/kapitel45-gb.pdf

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

Hey silly, Yanmars turn clockwise looking at them from the stern.

Unless you have a weird, v-drive tranny or something your props
turn clockwise.

S.Simon

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message

Both turn the same way, Counterclockwise, when viewed from the stern. I think. I
actually had a prop in my hand this afternoon to bring home, and decided that was

silly!

But I do know for sure they both go the same way!

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
ink.net...
G May be wrong answer .... when looking from astern, both props turn
clockwise, when engines ahead? or does stbd turn one way and port, the
other? (may be part of the reason for no walk).

otn

Jeff Morris wrote:
Yes.

There're not counter-rotating.

As to what happens when I try to "walk" - I can't quite remember exactly - she

just
jiggles forward or back but never really gets and loser to the dock! Of course, I

wish we
had this discussion yesterday, I could have tried it out this morning! But as

they
say
here in Boston, "Wait till next season!"

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
nk.net...

Dang it! That's twice I forgot to ask .....inboard or outboard turning
props?

otnmbrd wrote:

Walk set-up is correct (props control bow, rudders control stern). Don't
think your keel (from what I saw in the picture) is the problem.
Seemingly (but not) unimportant question .... which end lags behind ....
bow or stern? (in your example, hard right rudder, engines clutched,
only,[no throttle] for left twist) BTW, I'm hoping you say bow, lags
behind G.

otn

Jeff Morris wrote:

Oy! You had to ask! It isn't easy to remember with the controls in
front of me, but I
guess:

To walk to Port, Rudders to Starboard, Port Engine in Reverse,
Starboard Engine Forward.

The works with many twin screw boats, but I think mine has a keel that
too long - I wonder
if its too efficient at low speed? Also, although the rudders are
large, they are hung on
skegs and set back a bit from the screws, which are folding. I think
all these things add
up to minimal "walking."

-jeff

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
thlink.net...

G It varies a lot with all multi screw (except tractor tugs). From the
look at the picture, I would think she'd "walk" fairly well ( I'm
talking about sideways motion, not prop walk).
Just out of curiosity, when you set up to "walk" to stbd, how do you set
your engines and rudders? .... and which part has the problem keeping
up, bow or stern?

otn

Jeff Morris wrote:

And the answer is:

It varies a lot with the cat. Some have long keels, others have
daggerboards. Some

have

steerable drives, some have a single outboard, some have a widely
spaced diesels.

Some

have little windage, others a lot.

My boat has long keels, low windage on the bow (more aft), and
widely space diesels.

She

can pivot in place very nicely but has little prop walk. People
have told me they

could

make it go sideways, but when I've challenged them to try, they've
always failed. I

often

have to dock on a face, which is actually often tough - I usually
rely on getting

close

enough to snag a cleat, then springing in the rest of the way. If I
have a few hands
around to help I can usually get the boat anywhere I want. The
hands don't have to do
much of anything, but I find it difficult to singlehand because the
visibility around

the

edges is limited.

This morning I had a special challenge - I had to back into a
TravelLift the is about

6

inches wider than my beam. The wind started light, but picked up
to about 15 knots

cross

as I was coming in. The real problem was that one prop had trouble
staying open in
foreword - I had to do most of the work with just one engine. This
made it difficult

stay lined up. I felt that I totally turkeyed it, but I was
complimented by the Lift-
Meister and dockhand, and no damage was done. I found that the
gearing that forces to

two

blades to open together had totally sheared off.

Here's a pic taken slightly later:
http://www.sv-loki.com/Img_1616a.jpg