otnmbrd

Default Inherently beautiful.

We were discussing a different type of "walking" used to make a multi
screwed vessel "walk" sideways, while DIW, longitudinally..... a very
useful maneuver in tights spaces and when docking.

otn

Simple Simon wrote:

Walking and rudder power are intmately related.

Walking is more a natural function of how a propeller works
that has to be counteracted by a rudder to keep it from
having its way.

For example, you are aboard a right-handed single screw
vessel with headway on. The engine is put full astern and
the rudder hard left. The bow will first swing to the left and
the swing to the right as the vessel loses way.

The swing of the bow to the left is a function of rudder control
while the swing to the right as the vessel loses way is caused
by the prop walk overcoming the effects of the rudder because
of the decreased speed and decreased rudder control.

I hope this helps.

S.Simon.

"otnmbrd" wrote in message k.net...

DSK wrote:

In harbors the world over. I mean everywhere, We all know where they put
Multi-Hulls. on the very end slips of finger piers or bouyed mooring.

The Captains Nemesis wrote:
Interesting.
Here the cats tend to be deep into the marinas (other than casuals)
because they have the ability to turn in there own length under power

No doubt that cats under power with wide spaced twin engines are very
maneuverable under power.

Let's face facts; a Multi trying to manouver ( Over even making a simple
turn in tight quarters) is not a pretty thing. Even under power.

Skilled hands make light work under power. Juggling thrust can walk a
cat sideways and maneuver in ways that monos can only dream.

I'd like to see that. Theory suggests that with small props & rudders, prop
walk and kick aren't going to move it sideways much. In practice??

Interesting .... I'd have thought the opposite.
Since "walking" is highly dependent on rudder power and most sailboats
tend to have better than average power in this area and a "cat" doesn't
tend to have a great deal of wetted area and or windage (exceptions
noted), I'd have guess them to be good candidates for "walking".

otn