Charles T. Low

Default Docking HELP!!

Rob,

You will have read lots of good advice in the other answers to this thread.

The only thing I have to add is that there is no one right way to dock. I
hear a lot of things like "don't touch the wheel" (better for IB's than
I/O's?), and "always go slow," and I find that any good rule is only true
most, not all, of the time.

The one rule I usually follow is "keep thinking," because just when I think
I have it figured out, I find myself in a situation which benefits from
departure from the "rules."

I say "usually" because sometimes, when I've been in a particularly vexing
dilemma, in heavy weather with a tight slip, a little voice inside tells me
that I have enough skill and experience to do this, and to stop being so
left-brainedly analytical, and just to go in. Some kind of Zen kicks in, and
it usually works out quite well. But that right-brain "approach" (bad pun,
sorry), does require a lot of other-occasion analysis, i.e. much practice,
and enough experience that you have developed some feeling of oneness with
your boat.

And then I still scratch her occasionally. But I just call that "research."

Charles

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"

====

"Rob" wrote in message
Is it just me or does everybody get knots in there gut every time they

have
to dock?...

I Have had boats up to 22 feet for a long time, but end of August I bought

32 footer, with twin inboard outboard engines. WOW it sure a lot tougher
than I expected.

I dock in a boat house, which you would think would be relatively
easy..Wrong trying to keep it straight and steady I find quite difficult.

I've heard some people say "don't touch the wheel"
others say "idle speed only"

any pointers to help regain my confidence would be very much appreciated,
please remember I have an I/O twins.

Thanks