Gould 0738

Default Docking HELP!!

Never approach the dock (or boathouse) faster than you are willing to collide
with it.

(Some exceptions apply for wind, current, etc)

Tell us more about your landing. Is the boat house located where there is a
strong current? How wide is the fairway, and do you have to make a sharp 90 to
get into the house or do you have the luxury of a "run" at it?

The advice about keeping your hand off the wheel is generally good, with some
exceptions. Absolutely true for inboards, unless some really weird situation
arises.
I/O's steer a little faster than inboards, (in most cases), so it might be
prudent to have that option available. The trick is to achieve controlled
manuerverability at slow speeds.

One tip among the may others you will receive: I once had a covered slip with
very high finger piers. The piers were as high as the gunwale- no stepping down
on the piers. Since the piers were set at about the widest part of the hull,
and since the slip was a grand total of two feet wider than the boat, there
wasn't much room for error. I always entered the slip bow first.

One day, before we *left*, I stood at the helm and looked carefully at the
crossbeam above the slip. I picked out a
big knot in that beam that was just about dead ahead of my position when
standing at the helm. Using that knothole as a visual check when making
subsequent approaches seriously reduced the number of landings where we had
fenders "rolling" down either side of the boat as we approached.