Pockets of Resistance

Default I'm gonna do it

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:11:18 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

Steve,

There's nothing wrong with an alcohol stove. It certainly
is much safer than heavier-than-air, explosive propane.

It's all about how you use your tools. She's got a Universal Atomic 4
for power, so blowing out the bilges is going to be a more or less
frequent occurrence. I could just as easily run the blower for five
minutes before lighting the stove. That, and topside ventilated
storage of the cylinder with a shutoff valve that is only opened when
the gas is in use, I think you'd be ok. I'd also like to check into a
propane cabin heater (unless there are CO issues, one of the things
I'd have to check out. I'd assume not, or there would be warnings all
over the cooktops and ovens) and barbecue.

There's nothing wrong with gate valves either provided
they are not the cheap Chinese variety.

They've been in service for thirty one years now, so they are probably
ok. I don't think Ericson has a reputation for using cheap parts,
especially in a safety role such as this. But I'm attracted to the
Shut It NOW! features of a ball valve, plus there is a visual cue as
to whether it's shut or not. Makes that final look around before
leaving it tied up at the slip a little easier.

But like I said, I'm not going to install them until I have her hauled
for something else.