Doug Kanter

Default OT- Ode to Immigration

"JohnH" wrote in message
On 25 Jul 2004 03:31:20 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

Don't pick on John H for posting this.

It's more appropriate to feel sorry for him if he lives in a neighborhood

where
houses sell so cheaply they are purchased by welfare recipients.

Most of what he describes was
eliminated when the Republican Congress and the last Democratic President
cooperated to accomplish some meaningful welfare reform several years

ago.

Why is it that the old stereotypes survive years and years after the

facts have
changed? Is it because it's so much fun to
bitch and moan about the poor and/or minorities?

Symptom of frustrated white man: "It's somebody else's fault I haven't
succeeded."

I think it's beneath John H to promulgate
this baseless stereotype. He's normally
more tuned in than that.

Chuck, within three blocks of my house are six houses which have been

purchased
by Mexican families, extended families! In each yard and driveway are from

six
to nine automobiles and/or pickups. The house next to me sold for $549,000

last
month. With four or five family groups (or singles) putting their incomes
(welfare checks?) toward the mortgage, they can qualify for a loan.

An acquaintance's cousin bought a double house. Her mom lives in the other
half. The mom's in her 60s and a workholic. She loves being busy. The
younger woman is in her 40s, with a 16 yr old son. For reasons nobody in the
family understands, the younger woman doesn't have a job. She smart and
healthy. She's been living on government assistance for the past 3 years. I
think it deserves looking into before any more of her kind come here from
their homeland. Her dad's Polish and her mom's Irish.

Any more knucklehead generalizations?