Jason Bourne

Default Stuck Outdrive

Joe Blizzard wrote:
[snip]

This may not sound very finesse-ish, but I got it from a merc mechanic
friend. Lift the upper unit up on its pivots and let it drop down to the
stop. Repeat as necessary. If gravity alone doesn't do the trick, give it
a little push, kind of slamming it down and being very careful to apply
just enough force to not break something. (Nobody knows exactly how much
force that is.) If you get any movement, drive a couple of wedges in
between the drive and bell housing to keep the pressure on as you
continue. Failing that, proceed as you suggested by cutting off the
bellows. If the penetrant doesn't work, you could try applying heat, but
that's definitely dangerous. I'm told this is how the professionals do it,
that there's no magic procedure or tool. If you're reasonably competent
mechanically and you can't get it off without breaking something, a real
mechanic probably couldn't either.

We got it off by removing the cap from the unit and making a tool that fit
the bolt holes. Two pieces of angle iron about 2 feet long with another,
heavier piece of angle cut off a trailer hitch bracket (a left over) at the
far end. We bonked on it couple of times with a sledge hammer and it popped
right off. Once the tool was in place it took just two swings of the hammer
and about 3 seconds. Now awaiting parts...

-Jason

--

PGP Fingerprint:Â*Â*CA481E501CCDAEA6DC28940488833E0887 E064D7