Jeff Morris

Default Faulty depth finder attributed to whale attack!!

Its not that the ICW is poorly charted, its that the chart only has to be off by 100 feet
to put you on land. Its possible that the last time through SA was turned on for a while,
but I really had the feeling that several of the charts I was using was simply displaced
by 100 feet of so. So how often do you think the creeks in Georgia get re-surveyed?

For an article on the errors in Bimini, see:
http://www.bluewaterweb.com/news/9-01gps.htm

Your comments are inconsistent - first you say GPS "should never be relied on as sole
source" but you claim that you don't agree with "You should not rely on a GPS when using a
chart."

Seems to me that you just like to argue and you don't care whether you make any sense. At
least Neal sticks to one position, albeit usually wrong.

--
-jeff
"Constant Vigilance!" - Frances W. Wright

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
First off it's difficult to believe that any stretches of the ICW are poorly
charted. I'm not a big proponent of GPS accuracy... I do concur with Jon's
assertion that it's a tool... it has it's limits and should never be relied
on as sole source for navigation. That being said... I've seen supposedly
competent sailors use default datum or operate in 3D fix modes. What I don't
agree with is ...

A]- "You should not rely on a GPS when using a chart"
That position would have you question your radar, sonar, chronograph and
compasses.. never mind the plotting tools!

B]- "It tells you nothing about your actual position relative to actual
obstructions"

It does indeed confirm a fix if you have a chart..... so does radar.

C]- "Charts are notoriously inaccurate and don't match long/lat info

P-l-l-u-u-u-u-e-e-e-e-z-z-z-z-e-e-e...... they certainly are Not!.
Especially if
you can read one, verify fixes and have the latest datum.

CM

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message
| Jon has a point. There are certain locations that are notoriously poorly
charted,
| datum-wise. The ChartKit I have for the Bahamas is way off. I also
found that for long
| stretches of the ICW, my charted position was on dry land.
|
| For most of where I sail, however, the GPS and the chart agree to a boat
length or better.

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
| Were did you dig up this crap Jon??? Learn how to enter correct datum
and
| save yourself further embarrassment.
|
| It's a good thing both you and Neal sail in protected waters with line
of
| sight navigation or there would be a lot less boats around.
|
| CM
|
| "Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
| | You should not rely on a GPS when using a chart. It's a tool
| | only. It tells you nothing about your actual position relative to
| | actual obstructions. Charts are notoriously inaccurate and
| | don't match long/lat info.
| |
| | "Simple Simon" wrote in message
| | And, good morning to you, sir!
| |
| | With the advent of GPS and its accurate nature, plotting your
| | position on a chart is a more accurate method than using
| | depth readings and dead reckoning. It's that simple.
| |
| | S.Simon
| |
| |
| | "Thom Stewart" wrote in message
| | Good Morning Simple,
| |
| | Many of us SAILORS that sail among Whales use charts and depth
finders
| | to get a location of exactly where we are on the chart. This is an
| | accepted practest in DED piloting.
| |
| | We finally got a nice cleaning rain last night and we have about
5mph
| | wind at the house here. Waiting for my dog to wake up. We'll
| probabilly
| | spend the day out on the water. The Pilothouse will come into
play.
| Nice
| | and dry and warm.
| |