Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default Alchohol stoves

Well Lloyd,
We do the same thing in our houses and call it an electric bill.

But seriously, I would not be without a generator on a boat anymore.
I like the diesel units best as they seem to make their own fuel. But
they are also the most innocuous. The exhaust smells bad, the fuel
smells bad, they are loud and they shake the whole boat. I just have
probably the worst one made.

When only running the AC and battery charger, I have a Honda 2000 watt
"suitcase" unit that is very quiet and vibration free. I plug the shore
power cable into an adapter, and the adapter into the genny. It keeps
the house batteries up, so the galley inverter works, and give me lovely
cool air (or heat) which my old bones are grateful for. Uses about 1.5
gallons of gas overnight.

When underway, or for short periods, I use the built in Kohler or should
I say {{{{kOhLeR}}}}. It provides a vibro-massage and white noise field
no matter where you are seated aboard!

Regards,

Capt. Frank

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 06:23:23 +0000, Jim Woodward wrote:

Either eat your food raw or pick from a sorry crowd:

1) Electric -- have to run a genset or a big inverter with heavy
batteries. Can run on shore power in large marinas, but not small
ones. Fintry will have an electric oven, as I really don't like LPG
ovens.

This one I find just bizarre. You burn fuel to generate heat to generate
mechanical energy to generate electrical energy to generate...heat!

(BTW: I like my Force10 propane oven. Unlike most, it's thermostatically
controlled. Just be sure to disable the gimbal before you remove the
lasagna...)

Lloyd