sv \Sensoria\

Default It's OFFICIAL....

The storm was 'predicted' to weaken to Cat.1 (and even in some media a
'tropical storm') over the 'cooler' SST's near Nova Scotia before
making landfall. Cooler waters always seem to suck the fuel right out
of them.

However... ......Juan was pushing warm water ahead of the storm for a day or
so before landfall as it approached from the south, transforming the
surface temps just enough to continue to fuel the 'cane as it
continued to pick up speed.

With Hortense (1996?)... the hurricane was affected by the cooler
waters. It was a weaker hurricane and didn't push-up warm water ahead
of the storm as much as a Cat.2 storm would.

Also... the forward speed increased as it approached.

Worse case scenario was the effect of the high tide timing with the
surge wave.

Tomek J. Stanhope-Obirek
robotnik.com

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
According to Environment Canada..... Hurricane Juan made first Landfall at
Shad Bay!!

That's were I live.... It's my home harbour.

Overproof was only 40 miles away in Mahone Bay!!

I went to visit Prospect Head today.... it faced the brunt of the storm at
Landfall.... there are no docks or buildings left standing onshore. All

the
fishing sheds and docks have been destroyed. This community is on the

North
side of the entrance to Shad Bay. It faces the open Atlantic. It's steeped
in history. It's a shame all that heritage is lost.

CM