Mad Dog

Default johnson, actually mercury

Thanx Tony, i dont know why the Clam called me a troll
I made the mistake of thinking the motor was a johnson before i got the boat
to the house.
It is indeed a Mercury 45/Classic 50 inline 4-cylinder 2-stroke,
the wife and i went out today for the shakedown cruise and had a blast.
I installed a 10-3/4 by 12 prop with a new torque tab/anode,
the boat planes quickly and runs smooth thru the chop.
Originally there was a steel gas can in the boat which somehow passed some
foreign particles
to carbs causing a loss of power.......after a brief stint trolling with the
the motor that
ran fine except at WOT i tapped the choke switch while revving the motor and
the internal vacuum cleared the jets once again.
The boat now has polypropylene tank w/a new filter.
--
George & Lynn

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message
Any boat can have the engine swapped later for a larger motor. However,
cost to swap vs getting the right engine up front is tremendous.

--
Tony
my boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Mad Dog" wrote in message
My bad...what i thought was a johnson is actually a mercury 45/classic

50.
the dealer has installed new coils,trigger,powerpack and rebuilt the

carbs.
i was getting the impression that johnson was a bad choice because of

the
lack
of popularity for OMC.
Any opinions or advice on this motor would be appreciated.
i feel better now knowing it's a mercury and the dealer indicated that
upgrading
to a bigger motor later was possible after we learn boating safety and

feel
confident on the waterways.
--
george & lynn