Bertie the Bunyip

Default Questions on 9/11 aircraft.

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in
:

"Alfred Gantz" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:12:14 -0700, "Tarver Engineering"
wrote:

"Laurence Doering" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 05:26:15 GMT, Rule
wrote:

"Rule" wrote in message

"Laurence Doering" wrote in message

Would a nerve agent really be the best choice? What are the
chances that somebody in the cockpit would go into
convulsions and bump the aircraft's control yoke,
disconnecting the autopilot?

Does simply bumping the yoke automatically disconnect the
autopilot? I was under the impression there was a little
toggle-switch on the yoke involved here. Am I wrong?

No, there normally is an autopilot disengage switch on the control
yoke. That's used to turn off the autopilot when everything is
normal.

One potential problem with an automatic pilot is a "runaway",
where the autopilot malfunctions and applies control inputs the
pilot doesn't want. Autopilots are typically designed so that a
certain amount of force on the control yoke will cause the
autopilot to disengage, so that in the event of a runaway the
pilot can simply grab the yoke and move it in the appropriate
direction to regain control without having to fight the autopilot
while reaching for the disconnect button.

What lawerence writes of here is a small GA thing and is not used in
Airliners, where the operator wishes to remain employed.

Any modern autopilot which wishes to be certified by the FAA behaves
more-or-less precisely as he describes. I would add that the
autopilot generally senses control forces via the amount of
electrical current required by the individual servos.

Bull****, no airline pilot would have job after using the yoke to
disengage the autopilot. although it is possible to disengage in the
manner described, that method is one for spam cans.

Bwawhahwhahwhahhwhahwhahwhahw!

You really have no idea at all, Splaps boy, do you?

I would like to hear your description of how you believe one to
operate, however.

Back off Alfred, we don't need additional small GA kook trolls lying
to the conspiricists.

IOW Tarver doesn't know.

Bertie