Stefan Lloyd

Default Racing Rules of Sailing 2005-2008

"R. G. Newbury" wrote in message
o Rule 22.2 (interfering with another boat) has been modified to
include boats on another lap or leg of the course. This is truly
new - you can't change course if your only purpose is to interfere
with a boat on another leg of the course.

I'm baffled by that one. In match or team-racing, interfering with a
boat on another leg of the course would seem entirely part of the game.

Match and team racing have their own rules, which bring back some of
the explicit rules which were dropped in 1996 (for example, when a
gybe is completed).

This rule makes it clear you cannot, for example, luff a boat on
another leg. Example: you are on starboard, on the port layline to the
windward mark, and would normally tack, but instead continue on
starboard, to luff a boat which has just rounded the off-set windward
mark, and set her spinnaker....I would call that interference.

For fleet racing I would agree. For team-racing I'd call it part of the
game.
However 22.2 is not over-ridden in the team-racing appendix.